Discover a Career as a Medical Assistant
What does a Medical Assistant do?
Medical assistants aide physicians with patient care and office administration.
What might a Medical Assistant do in a workday?
Specific duties may include:
- recording patients’ vital signs and measurements.
- scheduling appointments.
- coordinating records with insurers, hospitals and labs.
- performing general secretarial and bookkeeping tasks.
- preparing treatment rooms for exams.
- helping operate some medical equipment.
- giving non-intravenous injections and performing venipuncture.
- performing basic laboratory procedures, such as urinalysis and pregnancy tests.
- performing electrocardiography, first aid and CPR.
How much salary do Medical Assistants make?
Average Salary Range
How do I become a Medical Assistant?
Students interested in becoming a medical assistant should take challenging high school courses in science, math and English. They should also consider courses in secretarial skills, computer training and bookkeeping. Most of these professions require certification, which includes completing educational requirements and passing an exam specific to the career.
Where else can I learn about becoming a Medical Assistant?
American Association of Medical Assistants
20 N. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606