What does a Surgical Technologist do?
A surgical technologist (also called operating room technician) assists surgical teams before, during and after surgery. Many have training and experience as nurses’ aides or licensed practical nurses.
What might a Surgical Technologist do in a workday?
Specific duties include:
- helping surgical teams scrub and put on gloves and masks.
- washing/shaving and preparing patients for surgery.
- sterilizing equipment and operating rooms.
- passing instruments to the surgical team.
- helping hold retractors and cutting sutures.
- operating equipment, such as lights and suction machine.
- taking inventory of tools used during surgery (e.g. sponges, needles).
How much salary do Surgical Technologists make?
Annual Mean Wage
How do I become a Surgical Technologist?
Students interested in surgical technologist careers should take challenging high school courses in science, math and English. Those interested in becoming medical assistants also should consider courses in secretarial skills, computer training and bookkeeping. Most of these professions requirecertification, which includes completing educational requirements and passing an exam specific to the career.
Where else can I learn about becoming a Surgical Technologist?
Association of Surgical Technologists
6 W. Dry Creek Circle
Littleton, CO 80120