What does a Pharmacy Technician do?
Pharmacy technicians assist in mixing and filling prescriptions and maintaining stock levels. They work under the direction and close supervision of pharmacists.
What might a Pharmacy Technician do in a workday?
- fill prescriptions with prepared drugs and compound sterile intravenous solutions (under the supervision of a pharmacist).
- mix pharmaceutical preparations under the direction and supervision of pharmacists.
- package and label drugs, chemicals and other pharmaceutical preparations.
- order and stock supplies and maintain inventory.
- compute drug charges.
- deliver prepared medications.
- clean equipment and work areas.
- sterilize bottles, beakers and other glassware according to prescribed methods.
- greet and assist patients and other health care professionals.
- gather and input data using a computer.
Developing a Career as a Pharmacy Technician
Pharmacy technicians usually work in large hospitals or retail pharmacies in the community, as well as pharmaceutical companies, federal and state institutions, and mail-order pharmacies.
How much salary do Pharmacy Technicians make?
Annual Mean Wage
How do I become a Pharmacy Technician?
Students intending to pursue a career as a pharmacy technician should prepare by taking challenging high school courses in science, math and English. A required national certification exam is offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board. Recertification must be obtained every two years.
Because pharmacy technicians deal with controlled substances, they may be required to undergo background checks. Applicants without prior experience or training may be required to pass a test to determine if they have the necessary aptitude to learn the job. Some typing may be required.
Where else can I learn about becoming a Pharmacy Technician?
American Association of Pharmacy Technicians
P.O. Box 391043
Omaha, NE 68139
American Pharmacists Association
2215 Constitution Aveue N.W.
Washington, DC 20037
P.O. Box 683148
Houston, TX 77268
State License Requirements for Pharmacy Technicians
A license is required to practice as a pharmacy technician in the state of Virginia. For more information on licensure, applications and forms, visit www.dhp.virginia.gov/pharmacy.
Virginia Board of Pharmacy
9960 Mayland Drive
Henrico, VA 23233
Phone: (804) 367-4456