What does a Registered Dietitian do?
Registered dietitians teach and counsel individuals and groups about nutrition and its impact on health and well-being. They work in a variety of settings: hospitals and clinics, food service management, public health, business, education, research, and private practice. Areas of specialty include education, pediatrics, geriatrics, business and sports nutrition.
What might a Registered Dietitian do in a workday?
Depending on their work setting, registered dietitians:
- plan and supervise meal preparation and service in hospitals, schools, restaurants or other public and private institutions.
- use nutrition, biochemistry and physiology principles to make recommendations regarding patients’ nutritional management.
- provide counsel about diet modifications that can correct or prevent health problems.
- analyze food for its nutritional content and study the way the body uses nutrients.
- select, train and direct nutrition services staff.
- provide community-based programs designed to promote well-being and prevent chronic diseases.
- direct purchasing and prepare reports and budgets.
How much salary do Registered Dietitians make?
Average Salary Range
How do I become a Registered Dietician?
Students interested in becoming dietitians should prepare by taking challenging high school classes in science, English, math and business.
To become a registered dietitian, students must earn a bachelor’s degree in an accredited academic program and complete an accredited supervised practice program, such as a coordinated program or dietetic internship. Registered dietitians also must pass a national examination and complete continuing education requirements. Students may begin at a local community college and transfer to a four-year program after obtaining an Associate in Science degree.
“Becoming a Registered Dietitian Fact Sheet” and additional information are available at: www.eatright.org/students/education/starthere.aspx.
Where else can I learn about becoming a Registered Dietitian?
Virginia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
P.O. Box 7061
Fairfax, VA 22039
American Dietetic Association
120 S. Riverside Plaza
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
American Society for Nutrition
9211 Corporate Blvd
Rockville, MD 20850